Community College is a Good Option

How community college is overlooked, and the benefits it may bring for a student.

May 4, 2022

Society has created such a negative view on community college, when in reality, it may be the right choice for many students. Every year, the cost of attending a four-year college rises and leaves students with a major decision on their hands. Some students may feel that if they do not attend a four-year college they will not be seen as “smart” or have a bright future, but this ultimately is just not true. 

With several factors contributing, choosing where to go to college and continue a higher education is probably one of the most important and difficult decisions a high school senior will ever have to make. Add in rising tuition costs, minimal financial aid, and the pressure to go to a top school, students are left with needing a different option. Community college. For many students who are still unsure of the exact pathway they want to pursue, or for those who want to save up and go to school for a very low cost, this option is ideal for them. Senior Adrianna Walls describes how “going to a community college will help me save money and allow me to explore all of my interests.” 

Some other benefits of attending a community college are the ability to stay local and not have to pay rent for dorms, smaller class sizes that allow for each individual student to explore their personal interest, and programs that certain high schools have in order to offer more free resources to students to transfer to a top public California school. Getting into a UC school is so difficult, but with the ability to transfer from a CC, you not only have the ability to save up and not be in debt, but you can also go in with a stronger application and an even clearer idea as to what you want to do in the near future.

Although it may seem like an easy option, the stereotypes around going to a community college are horrible, and students oftentimes feel that they should not go to one or else they will be a disappointment. However, this simply is not the case. Community college can help with providing resources that would have otherwise not been available directly coming out of high school. It may also help students connect with others who are in the same situation as them and will motivate them to find their passion and pursue it.

Whether college is the next step for you or is in the near future, always remember that what you chose was meant for you, and regardless of where you start, it is how you finish that matters. Do not let others get in the way of dictating your future. It is ultimately up to you to place yourself in a position for success. A school name or popularity will not do that for you.

Saint Scroll • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in