Not Just Cooking

November 6, 2018

When most people hear the class “Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management” they think flipping a pancake or stirring a pot. Although, that’s not the case for Mr. Brandler’s Culinary class at San Dimas High School. This class is so much more than cooking.

Not only does the class teach students the foundation of cooking, but the students also partake in competitions against other schools near the end of the year. The Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management teacher at San Dimas High School, Mr. Brandler explains what his class is all about:

When students see Culinary Arts and Restaurant Management what do you want them to know right away?

Brandler: “This program is designed to provide students with cooking skills, knowledge of foods and recipes, train them  on safety and sanitation, get them ready for their first job, train them to be leaders in any industry, teach management skills, and is interesting, hands-on, interactive, super fun, and full of important and useful information.”

What do you teach besides recipes and how to cook?

Brandler: “I teach students about food and where food comes from; nutrition. the history of food service, resume building, job readiness, interview skills, communication skills, life skills, safety and sanitation, business skills, and management skills.”

What made you decide that you wanted to be a teacher in this industry?

Brandler: “I want to give back to my community and pass on my knowledge to our future generation. I want to change the lives of students who wish to have a career in the hospitality industry. I want to provide a head start for individuals and give them the edge they need to be future leaders. I want to give students the life skills they will need to provide for themselves and their families.”

What is the one thing everyone should know if they pursue this as a future career?

Brandler: “This industry is like no other industry. The people you meet in the industry are some of the happiest and friendliest people you will ever meet. They love what they do. If you do something you love and that makes you happy, you never work a day in your life.”

Saint Scroll • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in