Girls Wrestling Defeats Santa Maria

November 30, 2022

On November 16, 2022, The Varsity Girl’s Wrestling team faced off against Santa Maria High School in their first pre-season dual. The dual was held in the Saint’s gym at 4:00 which was full of students, parents, and teachers supporting girls wrestling. Being the first dual of the season, the girls had put in a lot of preparation, and the energy of the gym was lively. 

Before the dual got started, however, the girls took a moment to recognize their favorite staff member at San Dimas High. It was remarkable to watch staff members receive recognition for having positive impacts on the student-athletes lives.

Each team wrestler took turns warming up on the mat before the match kicked off. Going into the dual, Girls Varsity wrestling coach Jesse Jaime stated, “I was very confident in our team. They have been working hard and prepared to go into the match with a mindset of win or lose, I’m going to give it my all.” 

The dual kicked off, and it wasn’t looking good for the Saints they went down a quick 20-0. Although it was a cold start for the Saints, Santa Maria’s wrestlers were strong and disciplined. 

After the slow start by the Saints, and the good pins by Santa Maria, the tides switched for San Dimas. The Saints started to chip away at Santa Maria with notable matches from junior, Alani Marrujo and Freshman, Lexi Cooprider. The girls fought hard and dug deep winning matches by points and pins to come back and defeat Santa Maria 50-30. 

When asked to summarize the girl’s performance after the match, Coach Jesse Jaime states, “The girls took chances and didn’t quit. They fought to the end and I couldn’t be happier with their performance.”

Saint Scroll • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in