The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Only Three Miles

Girls Cross Country makes San Dimas history.

December 13, 2018

For the first time in the history of San Dimas High School, Girls Cross Country makes a run for CIF Finals. Over these last few months, the girls have been training to make a difference this year, and they have finally reached that goal. Jocelyn Downs, a senior on varsity said, “ It’s been one of my hardest years of training but, I really enjoyed it because I got to meet so many new people.”

As their season came to an end, they had one race left, and they were determined to make the best of it. With one runner down due to an injury, they needed an alternate to start training. However, this wouldn’t stop them, the team was back on the move training every day and putting in over 25 miles per week.

It all came down to November 17, as the girls took to the starting line. Bang. “And they’re off!” Layla Graham and Caroline Cobo lead the pack with Carla Rojas and Jocelyn Downs following right behind. As the race continued, the nerves built up more and more, as coaches were screaming and the last mile drew near. Runners began to pick up speed and no one was looking back. Every second counted and nobody was backing down. As the finish line drew closer, the first racer passed. Unfortunately, it was not an SD Saint.

The race was over. It took the racers under 21 minutes to finish the longest 3 miles any of them had ever experienced. Although this was the last race of the season, everyone finished happy content with the outcome.

It’s a big accomplishment to make it to finals, but the greater accomplishment is what the runners took away from the experience. Now that they have made history in Girls Cross Country, the girls are ready for more, as they prepare for the season to come.