Club leaders during club rush
Club leaders during club rush

Movie Club

San Dimas High School Movie Club

January 31, 2023

San Dimas High School is home to many diverse clubs, one of these clubs that stands out in particular is Movie Club. Junior, Sadie Baca, Movie Club President, created this club for students who enjoy gathering twice every month to watch a movie during lunch while enjoying time with their peers.

During the clubs’ twice a month meetings a universally loved movie is watched. Movies that have been watched in the club during the past have been “Spider-man”, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid”,  “Girl vs. Monster”,  and “Nightmare Before Christmas”. Club leaders Juniors, Calista Corrales, Gianna Mantilla, and Sadie Baca wish for Movie Club to be a space where anyone in school can be comfortable, so it is important to them that they pick movies that everyone may enjoy.

A regular Movie Club meeting consist of club leaders inviting students into Mrs. Dolter’s classroom during lunch and fifth period to watch a familiar favorite movie. While the movie is playing, Baca, Mantilla, and Corrales provide snacks such as popcorn, cookies, and candy to any student who chooses to stay and enjoy the movie. “We know many people choose not to join clubs because they are scared to speak out in front of people they don’t know so that’s why we just want our club to be fun and pressure free,” Corrales explains.

When Baca is asked why it is so important that Movie club is a safe space for students she explains, “Me and my friends always wanted a fun place to be able to hangout during school, so we thought why not create a place like that for us and many more people at our school.” Baca also states, “My friends and I know students at our school may not have many friends, so that was a really big thing we thought of while making this club.” 

Movie club go-ers also consist of a wide diversity and variety of students. When asked about movie club, Junior Eric Velazquez says, “I really enjoy Movie Club just because every meeting the leaders are always welcoming and every meeting is fun.” Velazquez goes on to state how he is usually not the type to join a club but Movie Club has allowed him to branch out of his shell.

Movie club President, Sadie Baca along with Movie Club leaders have created a place where San Dimas High School students can hangout with their friends and peers all while watching a great movie.  

I really enjoy Movie Club just because every meeting the leaders are always welcoming and every meeting is fun

— Eric Velazquez