The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Athlete Spotlight: Kaley Rice Signs Her Letter of Intent

February 28, 2023

On Wednesday, February 1, 2023, Kaley Rice signed her letter of intent to wrestle at the collegiate level in the San Dimas High School quad in front of her family, teammates, coaches, peers, and staff. She signed to wrestle at Texan Wesleyan University. 

Signing day for Kaley Rice was a huge accomplishment. Rice signed her letter of intent to become a collegiate athlete in Texas. During her signing, she was recognized for this accomplishment by many, including parents, students, staff, and her team. Committing to a university is rare for a high school athlete and Kaley Rice put in the work to be a part of the small percentage of students who go on to become collegiate athletes.

This month was an important one for Rice; not only did she commit to wrestling in college, but she competed in CIF. Rice has been wrestling since October of 2018 and has continued to strengthen her skills over those five years. During these five years, Kaley has been a student-athlete and has expressed that because of this, she has learned many life lessons she that she has learned about balancing school, social life, and sports. She explains how wrestling has impacted her life in so many positive ways. Rice thanks wrestling because the sport is “demanding but the most rewarding sport.”

When looking into the future, Kaley is super excited to wrestle in college. She is excited to compete at a higher level and the challenges that will come from starting at the bottom. When she chose Texan Wesleyan University, Rice explained that becoming a National Champion was her colligate wrestling goal. Kaley chose her university “because [she] felt it provided [her] with the most opportunities to grow.”

After committing to wrestle in college, Rice went on to compete in CIF and became a CIF Champion. Rice continues to challenge herself as an athlete and this accomplishment is only the beginning. Rice continues to strive for better and explains that, to her, “winning CIF was a step towards my biggest goal this season, winning the state meet.”

Kaley Rice is a prime example of an athlete who is driven and disciplined. The work and dedication allowed Rice to pave her path to wrestle in college. A huge congratulations to Kaley, and lots of luck.