Black Student Union SDHS

March 31, 2023

There are many clubs at SDHS, and the Black Student Union is one of them. They usually meet in Mr. Coulter’s room or in the Wellness Center. This year, senior Aster Walker started this club because it had died out over COVID and she wanted to keep its presence in this school for representation and to provide a safe space. The secretary is Kayla Irvin, and the Vice President is Kasey Luis.

Black student Union originally began in the 1960’s when there was still a lot of discrimination and educational segregation going on in school. They were and still are an integral part of keeping and maintaining equality in schools and making sure that students, primarily minority students, are heard instead of ignored. 

Even though its original purpose was activism for better education rights and to be against the significant discrimination that still went on on campuses during the 1960s, its purpose now serves as more of a social inclusion.

Secretary of the club senior Kayla Irvin says the club would like to provide more information on certain cultural events and months and highlight those cultures more here on campus.

In the past one of our struggles as a school was to be aware of everyone’s diversity so one of the BSU’s main purposes is to be able to make people feel heard, seen, and included. This club is important, especially since they aren’t afraid to address the important things that are going on. Aster Walker is also a great president for this year’s club since she isn’t afraid to use her voice

Some fun things about the BSU include the member’s overall welcoming environment and energy.

Irvin also says, “I always enjoy going to meetings because I know it’s a place I can go just to be myself and to be surrounded by people who won’t judge.”

Saint Scroll • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in