Are These Fears Really Irrational?

March 31, 2023

Saints on Campus have the strangest fears or, are they so strange? Irrational fears are fears that tend to be looked at as random or strange and many stem from a traumatic experience. Several students have come forward to explain their fears from, measuring tape to vending machines and why they have such strong feelings towards the fear.
This sparked interest from several Tik Tokers explaining their irrational fears. One went viral where a man was measuring high ceilings with measuring tape and snapping down almost hitting the man. Hundreds commented on the video sharing their horror stories about measuring tape. One girl replied to my comment saying, “My Dad sliced his arm with measuring tape.

Have you ever looked at a vending machine and feared for your life? Junior Anyia Woody explains her fear stems from, “finding out that statistics show you’re more likely to die from a vending machine than get killed by a shark.” Anyia personally experienced, “getting my hand stuck in a vending machine. I thought it was going to eat me,”
Some fears have already become official phobias. When asking this question most saints came forward to say they are afraid of being sick or throwing up. This fear is called Emetophobia which is more common than we think. One student said “ In elementary school, students would just throw up out of nowhere all over the place. I have a panic attack and have to leave the room or I cry.”

Junior Mariah Gibson shares her fear of two animals, one being a kangaroo and the other being geese. Kangaroos, “are very buff and they are very scary. They look like they wanna fight people. “She’s afraid of geese, “because they chase you for food. When I was little I fed a goose and they chased me because I was feeding them bread.”
When giving background to these fears many students were able to understand each other. They were not necessarily seen as strange as they had seemed to be. Students were surprisingly understanding. It was a great conversation starter that sparked lots of interest and broke barriers between lots of students on campus.

Saint Scroll • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in