Dr. Nix – Admin Spotlight

Dr. Nix is the newest addition to admin and has become a big part in the schools community making a difference in everyones everyday lives.

March 31, 2023

Dr. Nix Admin Spotlight 

Dr. Nix is San Dimas High School’s Campus Culture and Community Vice Principal, arriving only last year, and has made a big impact on students. She is the only female in admin as of now, and is a large feminist figure in our school.

Dr. Nix is the newest asset to San Dimas High School’s astounding administration, and works to build a better campus culture for our students. She has her degree in Sociology with a minor in Afro American studies, a Masters in Education with emphasis of school counseling, as well as her Doctorate in Educational Leadership, and went back and got a second in masters of education with emphasis of school education. 

Nix worked hard trying to study, limiting procrastination but still having fun at the same time. “When I was getting my doctorate in education I also got a credential in child welfare attendance so that was really hard. There was a certain job I wanted to get but I was like well I need this credential to do it so whatever my goals were I put them in the front of my mind and did what I needed to do” . She wanted to get these degrees because as a highschooler she played the role of the “helper”,  “I always wanted to help people, always helping my friends, always talking to the students sitting by themselves, I just wanted to see if I could put a smile on their face and make a difference in their lives and then I found out I can actually be paid to do that in terms of counseling,” she explains. 

Nix used to be a middle school principal before coming to San Dimas. When applying for School culture and community at San Dimas, she had to go through a long process that  included various interviews that included being interviewed by the school district as a whole. “As much as it was a long process, There’s a lot of studying and preparation for the interview, and this was one of the most extensive interviews i’ve ever been on because it’s a whole community affair, students and their parents, office aids, staff, and all of administration, plus the board members from the school district were all apart of the interview process”. The vice principal also explains, “Getting this particular position was like wow you did it because it was so immersive but again San Dimas equals community and so I felt that even during the interview process,”. Nix was very proud of herself because of all the hard work she put in throughout the years and to top it all off she succeeded in the extensive interview process.  “I said okay San Dimas is a wonderful highschool, a bigger school, I do have experience with campus culture and community and plus, I do have leadership skills and capabilities as a school counselor and I think this school is really big on community so I said i’m going to apply and see what happens. 

Being an empowered woman, Nix thinks “it’s kind of rare to see women in these types of positions but we can do it just like anything else”. Some struggles she deals with as a administrator are cultural differences  in families, “so there’s some cultures where women are unfortunately are a little lessened and so making sure when to take to parents that are from different cultures that you try to uphold and respect their culture, but also make sure that they respect the  position not the person but the position in how we still have to communicate with the best interest of their student,” she states . 

“I don’t think it’s more pressure being a female in admin but it’s just as an admin in general making sure we all are falling in alignment with what San Dimas as a whole wants to be for the community”.

Nix believes that what gave her motivation was all of her background, her family, her experiences because Nix had to overcome a lot, even in her young age to get to where she is. Every challenge she has personally faced, has made her stronger and overall she proved to herself that she can do it, “even if I got something wrong one day I know what I had to do was fix it, correct it and be better the next so I think that makes me strong”. But everyday, she is motivated by “my passion for helping students, teachers parents, especially our students here at San Dimas to reach whatever success level they wanna reach and somebody somewhere needs a little bit of encouragement one day I think sometimes I can be that encouragement and plant the seed and somebody else can water it and keep going”. “women are a lot stronger than we appear to be so we have to deal with a lot of things whether its our menstrual cycle or things