The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

740 Foothill Project: A Homeless Encampment in our Backyard

National CORE’s Proposal for a the Construction of Homeless Housing
Stop the Homeless Housing Project Located on E Foothill Blvd, San Dimas CA
“Stop the Homeless Housing Project” Located on E Foothill Blvd, San Dimas CA

On July 6th of 2023, National CORE proposed the construction of a homeless shelter in the unincorporated area between La Verne and San Dimas. The LA County board of supervisors was considering giving the project a grant of seven million dollars which led to intense resistance from residents of the neighboring cities. The biggest concern amongst civilians has been preserving the rural, small town feeling of these beloved cities which has left the community considering whether this project would be better fit for a larger, urban neighborhood. 

The facility would be constructed for seniors 55 and over who are at risk of or are currently experiencing homelessness. At a surface level, this seems like an entirely harmless proposal, but in reality, it is much more impactful than it appears to be. San Dimas is a small town with a population of 34,000 and La Verne even smaller with a population of 30,000. These cities are homely and suburban and may not have the proper facilities to handle an influx of homelessness. Mr. Dave Milbrandt, the AP Government and Economics teacher at San Dimas High School was able to share his insight and perspective on this issue. When asked about how this project could affect the overall flows of these communities, Milbrandt explained that, “More people would be coming here, a lot of units and not a lot of parking, that is a legitimate concern that others have about how cars might encroach on their neighborhoods,”. Constructing a 5 story, 54 unit shelter in this residential area has the potential to interfere with the structure of the community, especially with parking resources that don’t properly compensate for the amount of residents.

One of the biggest causes for objection has been the lack of consideration or communication with the residents of La Verne and San Dimas, they feel as though their hands are being forced, and that they are losing importance within their own communities. The 740 Foothill Project has the potential to be very beneficial, however the approach from the board of supervisors who presented it, was less than ideal. “Nobody wants people to tell them how they’re gonna do things in their own cities, they see it as an infringement on local government and local rule,” explained Milbrandt.  “It’s a ‘not in my backyard’ problem, nobody wants this, but we also don’t want unhoused people in our communities around here so we have to figure out what we’re willing to sacrifice to gain that benefit.” This leads residents contemplating the potential outcomes of the project being finalized. 

While this project can be considered invasive, rigorous precautions will be taken to ensure the safety and security of the community. Background checks will be conducted to confirm if residents meet the proper criteria, and any applicants convicted of violent offenses or sexual misconduct will be prohibited from renting out units. 

Studies have shown that in Los Angeles County, homelessness rates have increased by 9%, putting the homeless population at just over 75,000. Homelessness is an epidemic that needs to be properly addressed and handled while also taking into serious consideration the livelihood of suburban communities. While the intentions of the 740 Foothill Project are good, San Dimas and La Verne may not be well equipped to house this kind of facility.