The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

The Return of Camp Flog Gnaw

Camp Flog Gnaw, the music festival of the year?

Camp Flog Gnaw, an annual music festival curated by creative genius and fashion designer Tyler, the Creator, finally made its comeback on Nov. 11-12, 2023 after 3 years of hiatus due to COVID-19. Camp Flog Gnaw is a multi-day music festival with a diverse lineup of R&B, indie, and rap music, all complete with an array of exciting carnival rides. SZA, The Hillbillies – Kendrick Lamar & Baby Keem – and Tyler, the Creator, are headliners alongside day performers like Syd, Lil Yachty, and even Ice Spice.

Camp Flog Gnaw began as a one-day festival in 2012 located in the Novo Theater’s parking lot, receiving about 2,000 guests in attendance. Today, it has expanded to a crowd of 40,000 people located in the Dodger’s Stadium in Los Angeles, all waiting in anticipation for each artist to perform. This year, many San Dimas students attended the carnival and when asked about it, one of the attendees, senior Kailey Tapia described it as a lively, exciting experience. “I had an absolutely amazing time at Camp Flog Gnaw,” Tapia said. “Being able to watch artists like Tyler, the Creator, Rex Orange County, and WILLOW who have been with me as I was at my lowest and as I was at my happiest was such a surreal feeling.” Being granted the opportunity to watch the artists who have greatly impacted your life was an unreal, unforgettable experience for Tapia.

Although they remember the surreal experiences of watching the exhilarating performances of the artists, their greatest memories revolved around the camaraderie and joy the carnival brought them.

The Camp Flog Gnaw experience is one that will engrave itself into the memory of those who are able to experience it. Not only do the festivities provide an ample feeling of happiness, but the people you surround yourself with allow you to gain a more personalized, impactful experience. “The entirety of Camp Flog Gnaw was one of those moments I know I’m never going to forget,” senior Marissa Sandoval said. “I could go on forever about the many things that made Camp memorable but I believe that one of the main components of this wonderful time was the two wonderful girls I went with: Naomi and Kailey.” Surrounding yourself at a music festival with the people you appreciate most grants you the most powerful memory because you can recall it through the people you love.

The comeback of Camp Flog Gnaw was exhilarating, people were able to connect with one another through music. With Camp Flog Gnaw’s great success this year, there’s no doubt that it’ll only continue to expand. Keep a lookout for its comeback in 2024!