The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Five Nights At Freddy’s Movie Review

Saints Give their Opinion on the new Five Nights at Freddy’s Movie
Five Nights At Freddys Movie Review

Since the movie’s production was announced in 2017, Blumhouse’s Five Nights at Freddy’s has been the most talked about movie of 2023. Other than Barbie, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Five Nights at Freddy’s has broken the most records and made the most money at the box office globally.

Formally known as FNaF by its fans, the movie has had the highest North American opening for a PG-13 horror movie since The Mummy Returns ($68.139) over two decades ago, and the second-largest opening for any video game adaptation after The Super Mario Bros. Movie ($146.362 million). FNaF also made $78m (£64.3m) in North America, and $130m (£107) globally, according to Variety. 

Another reason why this movie had such a fantastic outcome was its cast. Josh Hutcherson, seen in The Hunger Games plays Mike Schmidt a.k.a the main character of the film, Matthew Lillard who is best known for his role in the Scream franchise plays William Afton, and Elizabeth Lail, known for her role in Netflix’s You plays Vanessa Monroe. But fans were thrown off when they saw famous YouTube personality MatPat have a cameo in the movie playing a waiter. MatPat has had a huge impact on the game’s success. Talking about its story and conspiracy theories, arguably, the game wouldn’t be as popular if MatPat hadn’t covered it for so long.

Although this movie has had an outburst of positive feedback, there has also been numerous amounts of negative feedback. Fans online say that this movie wasn’t scary like it should’ve been and that it had nothing to do with the original storyline. Fans on campus have also shared their opinions of the movie.

Sophomore Marcelo Romero says, “It was really good and as a fan that has liked the franchise since the first game came out, it was definitely something I wanted. And even though there were some childish type parts to the movie, it doesn’t matter cause the animatronics are still kids. I also thought it was really fun and I just thought all around it was a sweet movie and definitely something I know I wanted when I first started liking FNaF and definitely something my 6-year-old self would’ve wanted.” Other students had similar opinions like sophomore Samantha Jimenez, she says “Literally ever since the first game came out, I’ve been obsessed with the characters and just like, the entire story of the game. So when I heard that there was going to be a movie version of my all-time favorite game, I literally told everybody in my life whether they cared or not, I could tell some of them were annoyed but I didn’t care.” It seems like everybody on campus so far has had nothing but positive things to say about the movie, which is good considering the amount of money the movie has made!

Compared to other horror films, there was really no scare appeal to the movie. Other than a few chasing scenes and jumpscares, there was really nothing to it. Considering the movies Blumhouse has produced in past years, This movie definitely could’ve been scarier. Fans have voiced their opinion on the scare factor and have suggested that they should’ve taken inspiration from something called “FNaF VHS tapes”. These VHS tapes include animations of employee training guides, animatronic maintenance checks, Fazbear Pizzeria advertisements, and other scary scenarios. One might think that these don’t sound intimidating at all, but you’d be wrong. The animation style is like no other, It’s extremely realistic for a cartoon and honestly, the gore level is unmatched.

Another big factor as to why the film was such a hit was because of its massive fan base before the movie. Teens today express how they have been fans from the very start. From 2014 to today, their love for the franchise has grown deeper and deeper over the years.