The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Matthew Perry’s Lasting Legacy

Remembering The Life of Matthew Perry

On October 23, Friends Co-Star Matthew Perry was found dead in a hot tub in his Los Angeles home at the age of 54.  Making the world and Saints shocked at this sudden heartbreaking death, At around 4 p.m.. According to NBC News, officials got a medical call from Perry’s residence, which has a view of the Pacific Ocean, stating that the actor was unconscious and in a hot tub. The caller’s identity remains undisclosed. Los Angeles Police Department arrived at 4:10 p.m., followed by the Los Angeles Fire Department at 4:07 p.m., according to officials. 

Not only did this hurt every fan around the world, but the co-stars of Matthew Perry were shocked and heartbroken about this tragic loss. “Oh boy this one has cut deep… Having to say goodbye to our Matty has been an insane wave of emotions that I’ve never experienced before,” Jennifer Aniston posted to Instagram on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. 

“Matty, Thank you for ten incredible years of laughter and creativity,” David Schwimmer wrote in a Wednesday Instagram post. “It is with a heavy heart I say goodbye,” LeBlanc wrote in an Instagram post on Tuesday, with pictures from their “Friends” days. He added: “It was an honor to share the stage with you and to call you my friend. I will always smile when I think of you and never forget you. Never.”

Cox also paid tribute on Instagram on Tuesday, writing: “I am so grateful for every moment I had with you Matty and I miss you every day.” All of the costars paid their respects online and also went out of their way to attend his funeral. 

It seemed that Matthew Perry was in a pretty good position. The adored Friends star, who fought alcohol and drug addiction for many years, had moved into a recently remodeled house in the Pacific Palisades region of Los Angeles with an ocean view. In addition, he had recently signed on to play the lead role in the upcoming drama Unworthy and was kicking about the concept for a TV show about Mattman, a superhero akin to Batman. He was playing pickleball nearly every day and traveling with pals, even to the French Open in June. 

To assist others, Perry, who published his memoir Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing last year, was always open about his battles with addiction. He claimed to have been largely sober since 2001 “with about 60 or 70 little mishaps over the years,” as he told People in September 2022, despite having completed 15 treatment sessions.

He appeared before a House subcommittee to help get funding since he was a fervent supporter of drug offenders receiving treatment rather than jail. Perry was even starting a foundation to help people who are abusing drugs, according to a source.

Matthew Perry was a beloved actor who captivated audiences with charm, heart, and humor. The actor overcame his struggle and rose to fame as an inspiration to others after years of grit and determination. Though many people adore Chandler Bing, Matthew Perry’s commitment to assisting others in overcoming their obstacles will be best remembered.