The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Guiding Lights; Wisdom From Seniors

Insights and practical advice for navigating the path to higher education.
PC: Loralei Ackermann
Career Center Sign in the Media Center

In the journey of college applications, seniors and former students shared their wisdom on everything from selecting the perfect schools to crafting essays, providing a roadmap for future applicants to navigate this chapter with confidence and insight.

While applying to colleges can be overwhelming, the wisdom shared by seniors and former students offers valuable guidance. Senior Angie Irizarry stressed the practical aspects of choosing schools. She considered factors such as tuition, housing, and GPA requirements, while also factoring in the broader economic landscape.

When it comes to writing essays, Irizarry emphasized keeping it personal. She advised, “Make your essays as unique and you as possible, while still following the basic guidelines for literary devices.” This approach recognizes that the real power of an essay lies in sharing your own experiences and perspective.

Time management is key. Senior William Salgado suggested creating a schedule to break down tasks, like tackling one essay a week for private universities. This organized approach helps tackle the process bit by bit.

Staying on point with essay prompts is crucial. Salgado pointed out, “Make sure you answer the question and don’t try to like add more pizazz to it. A lot of people do that and they like miss the question as a whole.” Clarity and relevance should always be the focus.

Taking a moment for self-reflection is also important. He also detailed how, when struggling through the application process, “Reflecting on like on what I’ve done, cause sometimes we like, belittle what we do, or we like don’t give enough credit where credit is due even if other people don’t see it that way. So try to get different perspectives on what you do.” This practice helps portray a more authentic version of yourself in your application.

Former Student Mauricio shared his experience, highlighting the importance of seeking financial aid assistance. He said, “I had to call the financial aid center to help me out with the process of applying.” This action serves as a valuable example for future applicants, emphasizing the practicality and wisdom in seeking guidance when struggling with the intricacies of applying to college.

When it comes to letters of recommendation, personal connections matter. Salgado suggested going to teachers you have a strong bond with or have known for a while. Being actively engaged in the class helps the teacher get to know you on a personal level, resulting in a more genuine recommendation. This ensures that your recommendation letters truly reflect your abilities and character.

As the application process unfolds, it’s important to remember that practical considerations play a significant role. Irizarry’s emphasis on factors like tuition, housing, and GPA requirements highlights the need for a grounded approach to school selection. This ensures that applicants are making choices that align with their financial and academic capabilities.

Crafting essays can be a daunting task, but Irizarry’s advice to keep it personal and unique offers a valuable perspective. By staying true to oneself while adhering to basic writing guidelines, applicants have the opportunity to share their authentic experiences and aspirations.

Staying focused on essay prompts is a point of advice that can’t be stressed enough. Ensuring that responses directly address the question at hand, without unnecessary embellishments, is crucial. This straightforward approach leads to clear and concise writing that effectively communicates the applicant’s message.

In the grand scheme of things, this shared wisdom from seniors provides a tool for future applicants. By considering practical aspects, managing time wisely, and engaging in self-reflection, applicants can approach the college application process without fear. These insights serve as a valuable compass, guiding each applicant towards a future that aligns with their aspirations and capabilities.