The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Bonita Unified School District Trade Fair

Bonita Unified held a district-wide trade fair to give kids a bigger view of opportunities after high school.
The United States District Court Booth

On Nov. 6th, 2023, Bonita Unified School District held a district-wide trades fair at Bonita High School to enlighten students on potential career pathways. Companies displayed their most interesting facts and even some materials from the trade to advertise to the students. 

The trade fair consisted of various companies and unions, allowing students to see possible opportunities. From a new and popular car brand: Rivian, to the Marines. The Marines had their usual pull-up bar and brochures to recruit young kids who want to serve our country and make money. Other unions like IBEW Local 47 which is SoCal Linemen, had a model to give a taste of what the job would look like.

One trade that stood out from the rest was the Welding booth. Two Women were running this booth and were ready to answer any question. When asked about the booth, Vanessa Londo explained that the booth is there to advertise the trade school, not the trade itself. She states, “We average about 90% job placement for graduates.” Most kids after college stay unemployed with the profession that they studied. Unlike college graduates, most trade school graduates become employed in the trade they studied directly after graduation. 

Most kids in high school are focused on this stigma that college is the only option. College is not the only option and it needs to be heard. Senior Jasmine Bautista says, “I’m not completely sure what I want to do after High school.” Many kids are at this point and throughout high school, it has been forced upon kids that they need to know what they want to do by the time they graduate but this is far from true. Trade school is versatile and can be done at any age, giving people a bigger opportunity. 

Trades are not limited to things like plumbing or welding. Other trades include fashion, home design, or any jobs in law. Trades are good for anyone willing to learn. With trades come good money and less money spent on schooling. It is a cheap and great way to start a career. Now trades are not for everyone but that is the beauty of it.