The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

2024 Grammy Nominations Have Been Released

What are the general public’s predictions and hopes?

On November 10, the Grammy nominations were released. Set for February 4, 2023, the Grammys are a major cultural event in which much of the most influential music of the year is recognized. The Grammys are a highly anticipated event, both globally and also within San Dimas High School. With the amount of anticipation and curiosity surrounding this event, the general public is pondering who may win in different categories. Who is predicted to win, and what do Saints think of the nominations?

Possibly the most anticipated category of the Grammys is the Album of the Year award. The nominees include SOS by SZA, Midnights by Taylor Swift, Guts by Olivia Rodrigo, The Record by Boygenius, The Age of Pleasure by Janelle Monáe, World Music Radio by Jon Batiste, Endless Summer Vacation by Miley Cyrus, and Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd by Lana Del Rey. There is a lot of discussion about who this award should go to, and who it will be awarded to. A lot of fans think Lana Del Rey deserves it, especially those that are still upset over the fact that they believe her 2019 record, Norman F-cking Rockwell, was snubbed. Others think The Record was an innovative moment from Boygenius that strongly deserves the accolade. 

Zita Makai believes that Midnights, Taylor Swift’s tenth studio album, deserves to win Album of the Year. In her opinion, the wide array of topics covered in the record solidify it as a highlight of the year. “Her album Midnights covers various topics such as self love versus self hatred, being secure in a relationship versus struggling in a relationship, and grieving,” Junior Makai says.

Another highly anticipated category is Record of the Year, which includes hits like “Not Strong Enough” by Boygenius, “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo, “Kill Bill” by SZA, and more. While the songs all had a cultural impact, likely the most deserving choice is “Not Strong Enough” by Boygenius. When interviewed about the song, the indie supergroup shared that they aimed to create a song that was very radio-friendly, whilst also being lyrically strong. The song is about being in a relationship yet not wanting any of the responsibilities, or feeling like you are not good enough for them. 

Boygenius performs their Grammy nominated hit, “Not Strong Enough.”

“The type of guy -non-binary term- who’s like, ‘You don’t want any part of this.’ I think we’re all guilty at some point in our lives of being like, ‘I couldn’t possibly be accountable to another human being.’ Well, the whole point is that it’s a little bit hard,” said Phoebe Bridgers on the meaning of Boygenius’ hit, and the feeling of being in a relationship where you don’t feel good enough so you inadvertently hurt the other person by not doing anything at all.

In the category of Best New Artist, the nominees include Gracie Abrams, Fred Again, Ice Spice, Jelly Roll, Coco Jones, Noah Kahan, Victoria Monét, and The War and Treaty. Many of these nominees are very strong contenders. Ice Spice, for example, had a very successful breakout year in which she established herself as a prominent new figure in the music industry. Makai, however, believes that Gracie Abrams deserves this award. “Her putting her experiences, good or bad, into songs helps reveal to her audience of a similar age that they aren’t alone in their struggles,” Junior Makai says. 

Noah Kahan, a folk pop musician who came out with his newest album Stick Season in 2022, is another strong contender in the category. With songs like “Stick Season,” “Northern Attitude,” and “All My Love,” that peaked the culture’s attention this year, Kahan has a good chance of taking this award. Makai feels that Noah Kahan’s lyrics take his songs to another level, and make him an artist that many people can connect to in times of hardship. “He helps people through their various struggles through his musical masterpieces,” Junior Makai says.

Overall, The Grammys are overall a highly anticipated event, and the public is very curious to see different artists receiving their accolades. The award show takes place on February 4.