The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saints’ Thoughts on Costco Replacing Famous Churro with a Cookie

Saints opinion on the discontinuation of the Costco Churro

On January 12th, 2024, Costco made a monumental decision to remove their world-famous churro, replacing it with a double chocolate chunk cookie. Many people were very upset and made their remarks known by expressing their thoughts online. People commented on how the churro is so beloved and has been there for ages and how they could get a chocolate chip cookie anywhere. When the cookie first hit the menu, many people hesitated to try the $2.49 750-calorie cookie as it was very big and full of sugar. 

Senior Jazlynn Rodriguez has a firm opinion on the subject, saying, “Costco getting rid of the Churro is sad because it was something I’d look forward to getting every time my family would go.” Many people are upset about the subtraction of the churro as it is a childhood favorite for many throughout San Dimas. Jazlynn continues, saying, “ As much as I will miss the churro, the cookie is very good, and the churro was better growing up than it is now.” As much as the churro will be missed and was so loved, many feel that it was mediocre at best.

The sizeable cookie replacing the churro has gotten excellent reviews. Senior Christian Caceres believes “The Costco churro was terrible, and it was only ever good because of the nostalgia that came with it. The Costco cookie is a culinary masterpiece and is ten times better than the churro ever was”. The cookie has many great features.  It’s very warm, soft, and chocolatey on the inside, but the perfect amount of crispiness on the edges makes it the perfect cookie. People throughout San Dimas are upset about the churro leaving, but many who have tried the cookie believe it to be the right decision for Costco moving forward.

Despite the vast amount of hate and nasty comments toward Costco after removing the churro from the menu, many, after trying the cookie, are hesitant to call it a bad decision as the delicious cookie pleasantly surprised many people. Many people on TikTok and Instagram have posted the cookie with many other items on the menu, such as mixing it into the ice cream and even making a sandwich with it, creating all of these new hacks with the new beloved Costco item. It’s safe to say the cookie has surpassed the hate and is now one of Costco’s best dessert options.