The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Social Media’s Impact on High School Academic Performance

Discussing the good and bad of social media and technology regarding students.
The Double-Edged Sword

In the digital landscape of high schoolers’ lives, social media’s influence is undeniable. However, its effects on academic performance warrant scrutiny. As adolescents spend increasing amounts of time engaged with various online platforms, the repercussions on their academic lives become apparent.

The allure of social media can be a double-edged sword for high school students, highlighted by Junior Dylan Thomas with his admission.

Yes, many times I use Instagram as a way to not have to do my homework.

— Junior Dylan Thomas

This sentiment is echoed by Senior Averie Nelson, who reflects, “It’s never caused me to get bad grades or anything but it definitely causes most of my procrastination.”

While social media offers instant communication, entertainment, and information, its pervasive presence can lead to distractions. Constant notifications and the temptation to engage in digital interactions often pull students away from their studies, resulting in decreased productivity.

Moreover, the addictive nature of social media enhances these distractions, contributing to poor time management skills and procrastination among high schoolers. Instead of making time for studying and completing assignments, students may find themselves drawn into the endless cycle of checking social media updates.

Despite these challenges, social media also presents opportunities for academic enrichment and learning. Platforms such as YouTube, Twitter, and educational forums offer valuable resources and facilitate collaborative learning. When used strategically, social media can enhance students’ engagement, creativity, and critical thinking skills, supplementing traditional classroom instruction.

However, the impact of social media on mental health cannot be overlooked. Exposure to idealized images and social comparisons on these platforms can cultivate feelings of inadequacy and anxiety among adolescents. These negative emotions not only impair students’ psychological well-being but also affect their ability to concentrate and perform academically.

The interplay of benefits and drawbacks regarding social media’s impact on high school academic performance is complex. While it offers connectivity and access to information, its negative effects on concentration and mental health cannot be ignored. Students, parents, educators, and policymakers must navigate the influence of social media responsibly, promoting healthy usage habits and ensuring that it complements rather than detracts from students’ academic pursuits. Through awareness, education, and proactive measures, the potential of social media as a tool for academic enrichment can be maximized while mitigating its adverse effects on high schoolers’ academic performance.