The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Artist of the Month: Liyah Gonzalez

Amazing Singer that’s voice gives goosebumps every time you hear it

Meet Liyah, the shining star of our high school choir scene. With a amazing voice, a passion for music that’s as infectious as her laughter, she’s the heartbeat of the choir family. Whether she’s hitting those high notes so effortlessly  or leading through harmonies, Liyah embodies the spirit of dedication and excellence that defines SD Choir. But beyond her talent, it’s her warmth and unwavering support for her fellow choir members. Not only does she actively shine on stage but she also shines around campus being part of avid and taking on advanced classes. Proving that she is wonderful in every aspect.

Saint Scroll: What initially drew you to join the choir?

Liyah G: My family introduced me to so many different types of music at a young age, so, choir just seemed like the perfect thing for me when it became an option in 4th grade.

Saint Scroll: How do you prepare yourself mentally and vocally before a performance?

Liyah G: Before a performance I always just think about the large amount of hard work our group has put into the songs we are going to sing, finishing our set and seeing the positive reactions is one of the best feelings. Vocally, warm ups are useful and Mr. Pugh has taught us so many.

Saint Scroll: How do you handle challenges during rehearsals, such as learning new pieces or harmonies?

Liyah G: The only way to get through the challenge in choir is really just repetition.

Saint scroll: Can you describe a particularly memorable performance or concert with the choir? What made it stand out to you?

Liyah G: Mr. Pugh had to gather a group of singers for his Masters Degree and we sang Faure’s Requiem with singers from Cal State Fullerton and Claremont United Methodist Church. We got to sing with our old student teacher Mr. Santizo and that was very fun. It stood out because it was the longest and most difficult piece we have ever had to learn and going into it we knew there was an end goal.

Saint Scroll: What do you enjoy most about being part of a choir?

Liyah G: What I enjoy the most about being in choir is being able to watch myself and my classmates grow vocally and as humans in general, I’ve been in this program with the same people for a very long time so that’s really cool. 

Saint Scroll: Lastly, what advice would you give to someone considering joining a choir for the first time?

Liyah G: If I could give someone who is considering joining choir for the first time advice I would say to take advantage of every rehearsal, performance, festival, etc because the end comes really quickly.