The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Mrs. Ruiz named “Teacher of the Year”

Mrs. Ruiz wins “Teacher of the Year” for the 23/24 school year

Teacher of the Year is an exclusive and honorable title; it’s a title that Mrs. Ruiz has worked tirelessly to earn for this past school year. Mrs. Ruiz is an outstanding English teacher and has been for almost a decade, and her unwavering dedication to her students is what makes her stand out among other teachers. 

Getting acknowledged or rewarded is never a priority for her and it is undeniable that she is devoted to being the best teacher a student could possibly have. Ruiz was stunned by these results and she expressed that it was a very humbling experience because she always focuses on, “what the kids need to learn,”  and how she can be, “the best source of information for them.” Ruiz is beloved by her students and creates genuine, wholesome relationships with each and every one of them. It’s very obvious that her classroom is a welcoming environment for everyone who enters it. 

Teaching is arguably one of the most challenging careers someone can pursue, however these hardships serve as even more motivation to stay committed to her work. Ruiz explained that, “some days are really hard, but we’re making a difference. Even if it’s a little bit of a difference, we are making a difference.” She comes in to work each day with the intentions of making her classroom safe for whoever may need comfort and she hopes that any kid who comes to her class knows, “that if they ever needed anything or if they ever just needed a place to be, that this is the place for them.” Teachers who nurture this kind of environment are the ones that leave everlasting impacts on the students who have the honor of being taught by them. Ruiz is devoted to empowering her students each and every day, giving them the inspiration they need to pursue their passions.

Almost every nominee this year was a member of the English department, and Mrs. Ruiz considers it, “a blessing to be able to work with such great people.” This is a powerful group of teachers who are putting in good work that their students are responding to well. Teacher of the Year is a rewarding title to hold and everyone who has been lucky enough to interact with her knows that Mrs. Ruiz is more than deserving of this win.