The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

San Dimas Dance takes on Nationals

Varsity+team+with+first+place+banner+
Varsity team with first place banner

The San Dimas Dance team took on the USA Dance nationals on Saturday, March 23rd, 2023. For those who might not know what the USA Dance Nationals are, this premier event attracts nearly 2,000 competitors to compete for the Champion title in one of over 55 different divisions. Out of all these competitors and teams the San Dimas team placed Ist, making history.

Our San Dimas Dance faced many times, more than they can count, and out of all those teams, our Varsity team Placed 1st place, with their performance of Oz. Senior Eva Yassine, gives us some insight into how the team prepared for this amazing performance, “well the week before nationals we do a lot of full outs in our dancing but also our facial expressions, this helps us to build up our stamina” she also goes on to say how the captions mentally prepare the team, “ we give motivational pep talks to the girls on the team, and just words of affirmation to have the mind ready”. The team proved this by going out on that national stage and killing it. 

Varsity after Nationals with Mr. Nance

Not only did our Varsity place but we also had a win from our JV team,  with their character number of Grease. The team placed 3rd overall, they went out and killed the performance by going full-out, with their incredible moves and facial expressions. The girls also had solo performances from, Senior Sophia Perez, Senior Melody Wilson, and Sophmore Tessa Mcdonald, who also nailed their dance performances. The Varsity team also received 2nd place in their Jazz performance, almost making first. 

As this Nationals competition was the last for the Seniors on the team, Senior Eva Yassin says “As the team was exiting the stage it was a realization that it was the last time we perform all together, and it was a bittersweet moment as we watched our performance again on the TV”. With that, the seniors are leaving their mark by making our Dance Team Nationals History.