A Spin on the Kim Possible Series

Was the Kim Possible movie all that Disney Channel was hyping it up to be?

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Spin on the Kim Possible Series

The Kim Possible movie was not as good as many people thought it was going to be. As one of the most anticipated Disney Channel Original movies of the year, many fans had waited eagerly to turn on their television sets at 8:00 pm on February 15th.

The movie had started off great with a great action scene and a previously known villain to defeat in a cliche but equally loved, evil scheme. Many characters and their personalities had perfectly reenacted their original cartoon character traits.

It wasn’t long until the families watching at home were met with an original story that has its own timeline, the only problem was that it had somewhat intercepted the original plot from the show previously seen on Disney Channel. The main plot was about Kim, the main character, who is now going into high school and the main villain, Dr. Drakken, trying to steal the “spark” that separates her from normal people.

Throughout the movie, her high school best friend Ron is always there for support and to help her with all the rough situations Kim goes through, just like in the original show. Shortly after,  Kim and Ron meet Athena who has had the same problems Kim has been having. After befriending her, Kim and Athena discover many common traits in themselves and Kim makes Athena part of the “Possible team”. Athena quickly shows that she can beat Kim in every physical task including grades and fighting.

The whole time Kim grows more and more jealous of Athena until she realizes Athena is stealing Ron as a best friend from her and taking the attention and popularity of the whole school. After Kim expresses her jealousy towards Athena during an attack from Dr. Drakken, Athena reveals that she has been working for Drakken the whole time in order to steal Kim’s spark.

Without revealing the ending, overall the movie did not entirely fit into the storyline. In the original plot Kim was already in high school, was the leader of the high school cheerleading team and Athena also never existed in the timeline and many decisions and events throughout the whole film did not make sense logically.

Disney tried to take a spin on the original tv show but could have made a better film out of the idea if they tried to stick to the canon story plot and may have needed a little more time as well. All the Kim possible fans can do now is wait for a sequel.