Junior Eris Gutteriez studying for a test at lunch

New Experiences for New Upperclassmen

How Incoming Juniors Feel About the New School Year

October 1, 2019

The jump from Sophomore year to Junior year may not seem like much of a difference, but as any upperclassmen will say, that is simply not true. Although it is only a one-grade difference, becoming an upperclassman comes with plenty of new responsibilities and freedoms.

As an upperclassman, there are plenty of difficulties simply as a result of the harder classes and busier schedules. Students sometimes feel pressured as well whether it be from parents or the intimidating challenge. Even though it is only the beginning of the new school year, the pressure stacks up. These responsibilities that come are not easy to manage.

“It’s stressful because I’m also in sports so I have to figure out a lot more time when I have to study and do homework,” Junior Jack Raygoza described about managing his workload. Extracurricular activities also add another layer of difficulty for upperclassmen when it comes to managing their time.

However, with a new year of growth comes more freedoms as well. For example, upperclassmen get to go off campus for lunch. Raygoza claimed, “It is definitely worth it because it is an even trade, more freedom for more responsibility.”

Additionally, more responsibilities come with new admirers, “[In sports] The lowerclassmen will ask for tips and pointers and like ask me about things outside of school too. I think they see us a bit as mentors and it’s nice,” Junior Hal Acosta states. With age comes experience and now as they become the older kids on campus they are looked up to.

[In sports] The lowerclassmen will ask for tips and pointers and like ask me about things outside of school to. I think they see us a bit as mentors and it’s nice.

— Hal Acosta

All in all, the difference is greater than one might expect. New upperclassmen seem to not mind the difference, however. “I love it and would not go back,” Acosta responded immediately and without hesitation. Acosta and many other juniors are aware of the new hardships they are soon to face, but they are not daunted by the task. 

With everything that the new juniors must face, it seems to be a rough road ahead. But, they seem hopeful as they get to experience all the new highs and lows of being a young adult.