Devoted Student Teacher

Ms. Bergmann's New Experience as a Student Teacher

October 21, 2019

Tina Bergmann is a student teacher for Mr Kim’s class who is currently a student in Azusa Pacific University.  Being a student teacher and a student at a university can come with a huge workload as she stated, “I plan for four different classes and on top of that, I have to do homework as well”.  Preparing for Mr. Kim’s classes is no joke, as Mr. Kim teaches advanced math classes, such as AP Calculus (AB and BC) and AP Statistics.

The commitment of being a student teacher wasn’t an idea that popped out of nowhere for Bergmann.  She mentioned that she had several influences that led her to this path when she said, “I had this English teacher my junior year who was an awesome person and knew special things about people.  She realized how talented I was and she told me I would be a great teacher.  All in all, my high school teachers definitely inspired me to pursue teaching”.

“I had this English teacher my junior year who was an awesome person and knew special things about people.  She realized how talented I was and she told me I would be a great teacher.  All in all, my high school teachers definitely inspired me to pursue teaching

— Miss. Bergmann

Working as a student teacher means no pay, but Bergmann planned for that aspect of the job. On this topic, Bergmann said, “I knew that one of the disadvantages of being a student teacher is having no pay so I planned ahead by working as an AVID tutor and saving up that money. I try not to think about having no pay while working.”  Being distracted about having no pay can have negative effects upon individuals who want to pursue student teaching, but Bergmann has done a great job on countering that with her strong commitment and a positive mindset.

Despite all the trials that come with being a student teacher, Bergmann said she enjoys being part of San Dimas High School. She explained that, “When applying to be a student teacher, I chose 2 districts and Bonita Unified was one of them. I knew that Bonita Unified had great schools and its close by.”  San Dimas provides an excellent environment for everyone involved and being a part of that environment has had a postive effect on Bergmann.

In the end, Bergmann has done outstanding work as a student at Azusa Pacific and teaching at San Dimas High School.  The effort that she has put forth in her college years and the work she will continue to put in will undoubtedly lead to success and a fulfilled career in the education field.