School Security – More Than Just A Badge

A Look Into The Proctors That Keep Saints Safe

October 21, 2019

¨I’m always going to walk up to a kid and ask them what’s wrong and if they want to talk, then I’ll talk to them. I don’t know what you’ve gone through before you got to school today, maybe you didn’t eat at home, maybe you argued with mom or dad. I think kids should always have the benefit of the doubt. ̈ 

Working as a school security guard can be a difficult, yet fulfilling job. Tina Fuqua has been working at San Dimas High School now for over 20 years and through the years she has been a mother figure and a caretaker to the school. But, her number one role as a school security guard is to keep the students and staff safe.

As a School Security guard, Fuqua faces many challenges, whether it be keeping the school secure to making sure students are not fighting and staying in their classes. What makes Fuqua different from the average school security guard is that she’s taken on a motherly role around the campus and rather than simply protecting and securing the school, Fuqua goes out of her way to make sure that students know they have someone to talk to or even ask for advice or help.

Fuqua mentioned that throughout the years that she has always tried to make friends with the students at San Dimas. She stated that she would even go out of her way to ask a student why they are sitting alone and if they need anything or someone to talk too. 

When asked about some of her biggest fears working as school security guard she responded that, “Natural disaster like an earthquake, you know. And we can’t get to certain people, that’d be the hardest thing for me”. Being known as the person whose job it is to react when an emergency’s happened is an important role and Fuqua said that she takes that job very seriously.

When asked if our school is secure Fuqua stated, “No, because if somebody wants to come in they will find a way. If somebody wants it that bad to come onto our campus to harm others they would find a way”. Unfortunately, Fuqua understands that this is the reality. However, she did make sure to mention that she is always ready to spring into action to protect the well being of students and staff.

Fuqua surpasses the basic job descriptions of a school security guard and with her own touch, she’s left an impact on the students and staff of San Dimas High School.