Thankful Saints Giving Back

The Annual SDHS Food Drive : How Saints Can Help

November 22, 2019

During the holiday season, and especially during the month of November in the lead up to Thanksgiving, food banks receive huge influxes of donations. The students at SDHS are donating too, to do their part this holiday season. However, there are some things that food banks don’t want or can’t use.  

For starters food banks cannot accept any food that is homemade. Since the food banks cannot guarantee the safety of the food unless it has been canned, Saints are encouraged to bring as much dried and non-perishables as they can. Additionally, students should focus on canned goods and avoid anything that is packaged in glass, since it’s much harder to transport without breaking.

Outside of the school’s food drive, Saints could also consider donating money to other charities. While a large turkey can and will feed people, the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank claims they can feed four people to the dollar. It’s another alternative for Saints to help out. It’s much better for money that would normally be spent on candy or a soft drink to be put into a donation box.

Also, students should consider the sizes of the cans that they wish to donate. While it may seem good in theory to buy a large can of beans, in reality, only soup kitchens and organizations similar to them can really use big cans of food like that. The food kitchens that students will be giving their cans to are trying to feed individual families, and so standard sizes are better fit and the desired donation size. However, anything that the students are willing to donate would of course be appreciated. 

It’s also important for Saints to remember that hunger does not end after Thanksgiving and Christmas. Giving at all times of the year, whenever possible is always a good idea.