Another Season Another Bonita Game

The Lady Saints battle against Bonita to get their mermaid cup back again.

December 18, 2019

Girls water polo is back in session and that means another rivalry game. This game, however, was a little different due to almost half of the team being new girls from JV on Varsity for the first time. Sophomore Alyssa Fox spoke on playing against Bonita at a varsity level for the first time.

It’s always nerve-racking playing Bonita. There was a whole lot of adrenaline pumping through my veins and you have the whole team pumping you up. I think we played pretty well for it being one of the first games of the season.

— Sophomore Alyssa Fox

The game was off , “I noticed that their overall awareness was really good and even when something negative happened they never lost confidence, which helped them.” Second year varsity player, Dania Smith, added when asked what she noticed starting off the game. With the conclusion of the first quarter the score was 2-3, with bonita in the lead. San Dimas’s top scorers  Seniors Xen Allen and Katelynn Howell were to thank for those goals. 

With the start of the second quarter everyone was ready to fight with their lives. Sadly having given Bonita a penalty, which resulted in a five meter shot, that was a goal, bonita was up by one. San Dimas was the first to score, but that goal was not unanswered for long. Not long after was the second quarter over, and Bonita was still up with the score being 4-3. The game continued after halftime The ladies resumed their efforts to fight to win, but the Bearcats kept scoring. The third quarter ended with a score of 7-10, Bonita taking the lead.

The fight wasn’t over yet, there was still a whole quarter of game left, and the Lady Saints were not giving up. The fourth quarter started, and the ladies were in it to win it. Sophomore Alyssa Fox scored, bringing the score from seven goals for the saints to eight. Bonita sadly answered that with a goal of their own, but the Senior Xen Allen scored again, making that a total of nine goals for the saints! Sadly for the lady saints, the fourth quarter ended with a score of 9-13 and Bonita takes the Mermaid cup yet again. 

Sophomore Saja Roummani let us know, “I feel like Bonita could have been a better game for us, but we still went out, put our full 100% and that’s all that matters.” Like Roummani, the team wasn’t and won’t give up, it’s a new season with new challenges. The Bonita game was just one of the many games the saints will play this year. The ladies are fighters, and they are fighting to win this season.