Forensics Feild Trip

Forensics Trip to Southern University of Health and Sciences

December 18, 2019

Forensics students got to go on an exciting field trip to the Southern University of Health and Sciences. Students arrived at the university where they were taken into a room and told to put lab coats and gloves on. They were then taken into the room with all the cadavers. Cadavers are dead human bodies that are used by medical students and those in the field to study the anatomy of the human body. 

The students were taken to three different stations throughout the day. In the first station, the students learned about the different brain lobes and how the spinal cord works. The students were even allowed to hold an actual brain and spinal cord. When speaking to Leylany Morfin about the experience she said, “I love studying the brain and how it works so this station was really interesting to me.”

At the next exciting station, the students learned about the different stages of the fetus and the reproductive system. The cadavers at this station were fetuses that had died from natural causes and been donated for the sake of studying. At this station, students were allowed to hold the some cadavers that hadn’t survived a whole 9 months. The university had many cadavers, some that ranged from 1 month all the way to 7 months old. Morfin also spoke on this part of the trip saying that, “This station was really sad at first but it also was interesting to see the fetuses because not many people get to see those in their life.”

The final station that students visited was a human body that was opened up and preserved. This station was the most exciting for the students, being that the students got to hold and touch all the different organs in the body. Morfin commented that, “I think this station was the best because you never really get to see what the inside of the body looks like and makes you realize that everyone is exactly the same on the inside.”

This field trip was an awesome experience for students to learn about the anatomy of the human body and how each organ works within the body to keep it alive.