SDHS Athletes Return to Practice During the Pandemic

How are students coping with returning to practice

November 6, 2020

On October 12, 2020, San Dimas High School athletes returned to practice during the pandemic. Students returning back to practice have to adjust to a new way of practicing while maintaining social distancing and taking proper precautions. 

It is so important for athletes to keep up their conditioning and practice during the season in order to be prepared for CIF. Quarantine has really affected many athletes regarding how they maintain staying active within the sports they play. COVID-19 has left many of these students concerned and wondering where their future lies regarding the sports they love so much.

Many students are glad to be back but some are not as excited because of the regulations placed on their practices due to the pandemic. Senior, Andrea Herrera Stated, “Since it is my Senior year I kinda [sic] wish I could have a normal season with normal games, and not have to take these precautions that make Volleyball less enjoyable”. For Herrera, it can be very difficult to want to practice during these hard times because of wanting things to go back to normal before COVID-19.

Since it is my Senior year I kinda wish I could have a normal season with normal games and not have to take these precautions that make Volleyball less enjoyable.

— Andrea Herrera

Herrera continued to state how practices have become less enjoyable due to the pandemic,  “I don’t enjoy practice as much as I did before because it is all outside and we can’t use a volleyball or any of our equipment.” 

Many students do not like the new Covid procedures put into place for their practices. Students are not only having to physically distance but they also have to wear a mask at all times, making it difficult for some to breathe while conditioning. Adjusting to these new practicing procedures can be tough to get used to for many and is a new challenge for all athletes.