Humans of SD – Ali Yassine


“One time near the start of the year in advanced culinary we were making some butter-basted steak, and for that recipe the pan you are using needs to be extremely hot. I made the mistake of getting it to such a high temperature that when I added my oil to cook, the steak caught on fire and burned the bottom of my pan. It made so much smoke that all of the smoke alarms in my house went off, even though there was no immediate danger because the oil burned away instantly into black char. To this day there is still burn marks on the bottom of my pan, but my steak came out great.” – Senior Ali Yassine