Editor William Contrareas
Editor William Contrareas

Letter From the Editor: William Contreras

June 2, 2021

Dear San Dimas High School,

What a ride. I remember the first day of school as a freshman walking up the steps and being intimidated by all the new and older faces surrounding me. So many experiences, so many new friends, and plenty of hardships. It’s hard to believe it’s already the end of my senior year. Despite all of the growth, there still is more to come, but San Dimas has really opened me up to the real world.

It showed me what a work ethic really means and the difficulty of education. I pretty much just cruised through school work and grades throughout elementary and middle school, but these last four years have been anything but cruising. Everything from AP classes, to the all-nighters finishing homework, I had to work the hardest I’ve ever needed to, and am grateful for this. I got to expand my knowledge and enjoy my education while genuinely challenging myself as a student and person.

I want to thank all of the teachers who were a part of my journey. Memories like Mr. Famili chopping an apple in half with his finger, and Mr. Feola working with us to win the bread contest are just some that will stick with me forever. You all showed compassion and did everything you could to help the class succeed in my education and my life as well. The advice you have all given me has helped me become the person I am today. I also want to thank Mrs. Lehrmann for opening my eyes to journalism and allowing me to explore the passion I found in it. I have had a class of yours every year since sophomore year, and I just want to say thank you for helping me grow as a writer and student.

To my friends, I want to say you all mean the world to me. Dances, the beach, Clash, classes, football games, and everything else would not have been great without you. I don’t have many close friends, but the ones I do have are something special. You guys made me laugh when I was sad, enjoy the good moments of life, and really pushed me out of my comfort zone to explore myself. I going to miss the games, blasting music going to Costco for lunch, and so many other things. High school may be over but the fun times never will be. Thank you for everything you have done for me, with me, and I’m going to miss those that are exploring a new chapter of their lives.

Journalism has been a part of my life for the last two years and I wouldn’t have been able to do this without The Saint Scroll. This publication is rather new and has evolved every year. It will continue to grow and become better and better with new writers and editors. To the new editors just stay on top of your work, because putting off editing stories will leave you with a lot of work. Most importantly be a leader. Follow your own expectations, think of ideas for stories, help your writers as much as possible, and try to push the publication further. The Saint Scroll has grown a lot but it will continue even more with a creative staff. To the writers, put your all into your stories and throw yourself into the work, you will enjoy it even more.

I’m going to miss high school and everything with it, but now a new chapter is opening for both myself and The Scroll.