SDHS Color Guard Is Back And Better Then Ever

The San Dimas High School Royal Corps prepare for their first competition in almost two years.

October 27, 2021

After almost two years of no practice or performances, the San Dimas High School Royal Corps prepare for their first competition on October 16, 2021. For the last few months, the band and color guard have been practicing day and night to be ready. This year’s show is called ¨Legendary.¨ It is a video game show taking musical inspiration from games like Zelda and league of legends. 

Although we have many vets in the guard who have been here since their middle school years, we have just as many newcomers. During band camp, they learned to do things such as how to spin equipment, read drills, and memorize work while marching. Just like the color guard, the San Dimas high school royal corps marching band has been hard at work as well. Practicing non-stop for months to prepare. 

Before Covid, the competition was like another world. The light, the crowd, the music, and the memories. Jacqulyn Lin made many memories this past year “The memories my teammates and I make on competition night are somethings I will never forget, eating funnel cakes together and the late-night bus rides home.”

I’m most excited to hear the crowd cheering for us on the field before and after we perform

— Color Guard Captain Dani Ogden

The Day of the competition was hectic. The color guard had morning practice from 8 am to 10:30 am alongside the band. After practice had ended everyone was running around preparing everything. Loading the trailer, getting hair and make-up done, making sure everyone had uniforms, all while trying to eat and practice a bit more before heading to west valley high school in Hemet California. Arriving at  West Valley was like going back in time and brought back so many memories.

The color guard went apart from the band to practice with their coaches Lionel and Teresa. This is the color guard’s first year with their new coaches. “Walking into the San Dimas color guard on day one was pleasantly surprising. They have so much potential and my goal for the upcoming years is to harness the potential and make this a world-class color guard.”, Color guard coach Lionel lcasiano.

The color guard placed 4th out of 21 guards, and the band placed 2nd in their division. Next week on October 30th they will head out to their next competition at Ocean View HS. They hope to make this season their best yet especially with so many seniors leaving they hope to make so many memories and be proud of their last marching season in the San Dimas high school royal corps marching band.