School Administration Implements Courageous Conversations

December 16, 2021

In lieu of the recent occurrences on campus and the COVID-19 pandemic the school administration has held an open forum known as Courageous Conversations hosted by Mr. Coulter to shed light on the student perspective of life here at SDHS and to help bridge the disconnect between the administration and its students. Last month’s events of the hateful defacement of the bathroom sparked new conversations about the state of mental wellness and social tolerance at SDHS between the students and faculty members finally giving the students a platform to freely express their concerns and observations to incite change on campus. 

“I thought that we could benefit from having a courageous conversation where we talk about the race issue; I think there is a lot more to it then we understand as teachers and we definitely need the voices of students,” English teacher, Mr. Coulter said. The defamatory writing repeatedly found in the school restrooms has sparked about a new wave of awareness on campus as students and teachers alike are beginning to address and confront the racial and social issues that plague our school. While all can agree that the incident was a brutal display of hatred it has shed an essential light on the prejudice found on campus and increased efforts on both the administration and students to take action and stop the spread of hate as well as create new platforms for students to express concerns beyond solely the bathroom incident. 

Courageous Conversations will be a regular monthly open forum for students and faculty from all walks of life to come together with open hearts and minds to express their concerns and more importantly listen to the voices of their peers. “What I want to see is people getting comfortable with having conversations that are not debates; it’s not my truth versus your truth its speaking your truth and seeing where you can find common ground” Mr. Coulter states. 

What I want to see is people getting comfortable with having conversations that are not debates; it’s not my truth versus your truth its speaking your truth and seeing where you can find common ground

— Mr. Coulter

In the past Courageous Conversation, students expressed their feelings about the prodigious amounts of workload and their hardships while transitioning back from virtual to in-person school. Students as a whole are all taking time to adjust to drastic changes in lifestyle as we emerge from the pandemic. “We went from school four hours a day and very little extracurricular activities to now worrying about grades and full extracurricular activities,” Mental Health counselor Diana Zuniga says. 

As the school administration moves forward with Courageous Conversations, we as a student body can look forward to having a platform for expressing concerns and comments to facilitate and create a more inclusive and productive school environment by collaborating with staff and administrators.

Saint Scroll • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in