How San Dimas Students Celebrate The Holidays

December 15, 2021

Christmas is one of the most highly anticipated holidays of the year, and San Dimas students are preparing to celebrate. Students on campus all have a different way of celebrating Christmas, whether it’s cultural reasons or because of familial traditions.

Family traditions are a big part of celebrating Christmas since they’ve been passed down from generation to generation. Taking a peek into Hispanic culture, Flor Fonseca celebrates many traditions with her family. “My grandmother has us kiss a baby Jesus statue.” sophomore Flor Fonseca, “then we take a piece of candy and pass it around.”

“My grandmother has us kiss a baby Jesus statue, and then we take a piece of candy and pass it around.”

— Flor Fonseca, sophomore

Fonseca’s family not only does this custom, but they also make special treats to eat on Christmas day. The Fonseca family spends Christmas usually at their cousin’s or grandma’s house, but on Christmas Eve they spend the day making tamales to eat the next day.

Denisse Flores, also a sophomore, does quite a few traditions with her family on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. “All my family friends and relatives meet up at my grandma’s house to party for hours, but at midnight we all bring our gifts and open them.” sophomore, Denisse Flores.

“All my family friends and relatives meet up at my grandma’s house to party for hours, but at midnight we all bring our gifts and open them.”

— Denisse Flored, sophomore

Flores says that it is also tradition for her family to visit an amusement park on Christmas Eve. Though on Christmas day, that’s when the real fun begins. Flores and her family cook many Filaphino treats on Christmas day to enjoy after opening gifts and spending time with the family.

Christmas is all about family. Never the gifts, so it’s heartwarming to see many students celebrate Christmas with their relatives and continue traditions.