Environmentalists on Campus: The Environmental Awareness Club

The world is facing unprecedented danger in the face of problems like pollution and global warming - and SDHS's Environmental Awareness Club is here to help.

December 15, 2021

On August 9th, 2021, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres described climate change as a “code red for humanity.” Luckily, San Dimas High School has environmentalists on campus that have created a club to help mother Earth.

The Environmental Awareness club is led by Noa Berry (President), Mila Mattson (Vice President), Natalia Lopez (secretary), Sophia Cabalfin (treasurer) and Abby Bernhard (House of Representatives).

Noa Berry and Mila Mattson explain the purpose of their club is all in the name. The goal is mainly to spread information about environmental issues and empower students to help make their communities a greener place. “Our purpose is basically just to inform others of environmental issues and to inspire others to change action and to be an active part of the community and just like to advocate for the Earth,” states Berry. Mattson elaborates that “The main thing is to spread information because I know we might not be able to get everyone to act and like to y’know [sic] start recycling every single day or whatever, but at least we are giving them the chance to know this is a problem and here are ways that you could help.”

The Environmental Awareness Club actually started back in the 8th grade year of its creators at Lone Hill Middle School. Berry tells about what inspired her to create the club. “I think it was 8th grade, I was watching the news and I saw Greta Thunberg – she was doing a speech, and it really inspired me,” she exclaims. “And so I decided to take action inside my own home and I made like a slideshow and everything for like my family and I was like we should try to be more environmentally friendly and conscious and more aware of what we’re doing to the Earth and use less plastic and eat less meat and that kind of stuff.” After that, she showed her friends the slide show, which inspired them, and the Environmental Awareness Club was born.

One of many bags painted by students who participated in the activity at a recent club meeting

At Lone Hill, the group was responsible for the introduction of recycling bins to the quad and were in the process of raising funds for an automatic water dispenser (one of these is by the cafeteria at SDHS) to fill student’s water bottles, which reduces plastic waste from bringing another plastic water bottle to school every day, but they were unfortunately interrupted by COVID.

Right now the club is aburst with exciting plans for the future. Just recently students met during fifth period and lunch in H-6 to paint their own tote bags (as pictured in the article.)  The club put together the activity to encourage the community to avoid using plastic bags.  A future idea is to introduce environmental clubs to local middle and possible elementary schools

Students painting their tote bags

“We have a committee right now that’s talking about getting an environmental awareness club introduced at Lone hill because y’know it started there,” says Berry. Mattson adds that “I think it’s especially important that once you start learning about that when you’re younger you’re more likely to make changes in the future.”

This amazing club is still open to join and anyone is welcome to come by anytime. The group meets at lunch in Mrs. Luevands room (Room H-6)