The Path to a Better San Dimas?

“Trash Talk” Activity Sparks Debate on the School’s Action Against Harmful Campus Culture

December 16, 2021

Cries for a change of the campus culture at San Dimas High School have never been a novel concept, but after the recent events in October and November of this year, where racist and hateful vandalism was found across the campus, the school administration is finally pushing to create a better San Dimas High. Students have been keenly watching and waiting for the school’s response to the vandalism and after weeks of waiting, it finally came in form of a “Trash Talk”. 

In early December, the San Dimas High School administration created an interactive activity titled “Trash Talk”, which included students and staff members of the campus. During their social studies classes, students would be brought to the Media Center, where they would meet SDHS Principal Scott Sparks, as well as the Assistant Principals and other SDHS head officials.

Briefly described, the activity saw students write down harmful words that they have heard on campus and Principal Sparks would then read these words aloud. This was followed by students throwing a crumpled piece of paper into the center of the room if they heard a word that had been directed towards them. This activity was followed afterward by a very similar visual but in the reverse. Students would list compliments they have received on campus and then remove pieces of the paper from the center of the room when they heard a word they have been told on campus. The resulting image would show how much trash, or hate, was left on campus, and how much we need to change campus culture. Principal Scott Sparks, the head of the activity, stated that he believed it “in the most part was a positive thing”, in working to promote change within the high school. 

While a large number of students and staff regarded Trash Talk as a great visual, aspects of the activity were criticized by many within the student body. During the activity, Principal Sparks said a multitude of different words considered to be harmful to ethnic minority and LGBTQ+ groups, and the reaction from many students was not positive.

Senior Adriana Walls speaks on her view of the situation. “I enjoyed the seminar because it did make me see who can relate with all the hate,” said Walls, “but I don’t think that it was taken seriously because all everyone talked about was that Mr. Sparks said slurs”. Sparks acknowledges the fact that the activity was controversial and states his reasoning for the debatable actions.

The idea is that an offensive word is an offensive word to anybody, so I can’t put one word down further than another word

— SDHS Principal Scott Sparks

“The idea is that an offensive word is an offensive word to anybody, so I can’t put one word down further than another word,” said Sparks.

With all the work that the front office is starting to do to combat the hate at San Dimas High, students still have many issues they want to be fixed across campus. Senior Dani Ogden states their hopes for the school’s improvement. “I believe students should have more respect for each other and treat others with respect. Teachers and staff as well,” said Ogden, “there’s a lot of students who shout racial and homophobic slurs and I don’t want to hear it. Students also don’t wear their masks in class and it’s discomforting to think that they are putting everyone at a higher risk of COVID-19”. Walls adds to these sentiments by continuing, “changing the ideas on campus isn’t always responsible or possible” states Walls, “this is why I think the talk was a flop because I feel like they were trying to give the impression that they care. I know they’re doing their best with this, but it feels like they’re preaching to a choir and not specifically speaking to the people who need to be talked to”.

Though there is a large vacancy in solutions for the campus culture dilemma, some students have their own personal solutions to the issue. “I think that students need to be involved in helping plan large movements such as “Trash Talk,” said Senior Hannah Mendoza, one of a number of students who had a positive outlook on the activity.

“I think the Trash Talk seminar was a step in the right direction for change in our campus,” said Mendoza, “I appreciated that the administration took the time to have everyone do the activity as a response to the negative events that have happened”. Ogden also shares their ideas for changing campus culture. “Staff and the student body could offer more student bonding type activities like “Rennival” and the mental health seminar after school. I also feel that admin could do better with encouraging respect and bringing people together rather than separating students” states Ogden.

Changes to the campus happen daily, but we are currently seeing one of the greatest changes in school history. The administration of the school is beginning to act on their promises and students are lying in wait for what comes next. Only time will tell to see if the school can meet its mission statement of being “an inclusive and caring community” and where the path for San Dimas High School heads next.

Saint Scroll • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in