The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Girls Volleyball Under New Direction

New Coaches Joe Hanson and Jeff Pang take on their first Girl’s Volleyball season together at San Dimas High School.
Head+Volleyball+Coach+Joe+Hanson+and+Assistant+Coach+Jeff+Pang.+
Head Volleyball Coach Joe Hanson and Assistant Coach Jeff Pang.

This year the San Dimas volleyball program is under new direction by first-time Head Coach Joe Hanson and Coach Jeff Pang. The coaches just led the girls to a Valle Vista League title and made a great attempt at playoffs. 

Coach Hanson coached his first high school girl’s volleyball team in 1992. His intentions when stepping up to the job in 2023 at San Dimas were clear: he wanted to not only continue the legacy that was left but surpass it. “Last year’s team was 10-0 in league and the only thing we could do to get better than that would be to do perfect in league and they did that,” says Head Coach Hanson. San Dimas girls varsity volleyball did not lose a single set during league which outshined last season’s record.

The new coaches were hired after the last two coaches surrendered their positions. Coach Hanson has been a Coach at San Dimas on and off since 2000, but this is his first year as head volleyball coach. Pang was hired as the assistant Coach and was a successful volleyball coach at San Dimas High in 2011 and was named coach of the year, which is no surprise that he led this team to a league title. When asked about his decision for coaching staff Hanson said, “Jeff Pang was the person who was responsible for starting Club West back in the day and he does nothing but talk about volleyball all the time so I felt like he would be a great addition.” Coach Hanson and Pang plan on directing the team to a CIF title. 

Coaching girls has become more intense over the years according to Coach Hanson. Attached to High School girls’ sports, a stigma has affected numerous teams due to male coaching staff. When asked about coaching girls, Coach Hanson implies, “Girls have a much deeper skill set due to club and they play all year round managing injuries due to multi-sports, it’s much tougher.” Girls have always faced the unfair concept that they’ll never be able to compete with men. Hanson explains that he acknowledges the stigma and understands that his girls are more than capable of succeeding. 

For two men to coach a team of young women, things can be lost in translation. Hanson and Pang need to understand the girls and how they develop the best based on their coaching. “Although they are both men coaching young women, they held high enough standards that were reachable and very realistic,” says Senior Captain Aydan Romero. A. Romero goes on to explain how these coaches enjoy small moments where they can laugh and have fun which allows them to understand the girls on a more personal level.  

Since this is the first year for these Coaches as a team, it has been important for them to be prepared for anything that could happen. With CIF behind them, Hanson and Pang worked hard to ensure these girls strive and do well under stress. “They do very well at creating game-like situations and putting a lot of pressure on us in drills,” says Junior Priscilla Romero. 

With over a 10-win streak, it is important not to lose sight of the overall goal. “It really is easy to get caught up in all the winning, but they kept us down to earth which is ultimately why we didn’t drop a set,” says A. Romero. Hanson and Pang are focused on ignoring the distractions as they continue playoffs. It is very easy to get a sense of superiority when winning so many games and that’s why these coaches find it so important to keep the team humble and open-minded. 

The team holds a 22-8 record. This places San Dimas High School at 115 in the Southern Section. In the first round of playoffs, they faced a Mary Star of the Sea High School which ranks 114 in the Southern section, placing them one spot above San Dimas. Unfortunately, The Saints lost this playoff game, which ended their 23’-24 season.