The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Cinematic Cheer for All to Hear

Revisiting childhood nostalgia through childhood movie favorites
cozy home alone scene

As the holiday season rapidly encroaches, and the weather starts to cool down, it’s necessary to start defrosting your favorite Christmas films. From the most nostalgic animations like How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Polar Express to old school classics like It’s a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story, movies are one of the most essential parts of having a festive Christmastime. 

One of the best parts about Christmas films is that they’re versatile, and open to interpretation. Some people consider Die Hard a quintessential holiday ritual whereas others would never, in a million years, choose to watch Bruce Willis defeat a group of terrorists to try to get into a holly jolly mood. Another film that can stir up some controversy is The Nightmare Before Christmas, and determining whether it should be considered a fall favorite or a Christmas classic. Regardless, these films evoke a very powerful sense of nostalgia, and they have the ability to transport viewers back to their cherished childhood memories. 

Christmas movies are designed to activate an emotional resonance, they take people back to “the good old days” and allow them to reminisce on their earlier memories associated with the film they’re watching. One of the most beloved Christmas movies of all time (if not the most), is Home Alone. Senior Noah Cao is the perfect example of someone who associates this film with his childhood memories, “I love Home Alone. It takes me back to all the memories from when I was a little kid. I’d always watch it at my grandma’s house and I still think about those moments when I watch it now.” These movies help us connect to others in a meaningful way, especially when it becomes a shared experience with other loved ones. 

These cinematic treasures have the power to tap into a sense of childlike wonder that not many other genres can. With immersive soundtracks, Christmas miracles, and magic all around, they tap into a part of you that still wants to dream and believe in these sorts of fantasies all while conveying meaningful life lessons. For Junior, Victoria Boyde her “must watch” film has always been How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Boyde explained, “It’s my favorite movie because I would watch it on repeat growing up, but also it tells an important story.” The lessons that viewers are exposed to at a young age can be everlasting and in Boyde’s case it was, “touching to see the Grinch’s heart grow three sizes and be able to become kind when it seemed impossible.”  

Overall, these films are a staple and it wouldn’t truly be the holiday season without them. That familiar warm, fuzzy feeling Christmas movie lovers seemingly thrive on comes from being reminded of the good times spent with family and friends during the holidays.  It’s no secret that watching those yuletide classics lift spirits and the holiday festivities. So if you’re like Noah, then don’t feel guilty for watching Home Alone for the hundredth time.