The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Incidents and Crimes In San Dimas

Is San Dimas as safe as we think?

On November 28th, a man was charged with a follow-home homicide in San Dimas which led many San Dimas citizens and students to wonder what other crimes and incidents have happened around the “safe” San Dimas area that most might not know about. 

1.    On December 2, 2023, there was an arrest made in the killing of 3 homeless people. In San Dimas, authorities stated on Saturday that the guy who was arrested earlier this week in connection with the murder of a San Dimas resident during a follow-home robbery was the suspect in the three deadly shootings of homeless people in Los Angeles. Los Angeles Police Chief Michel Moore announced at a press conference in the afternoon that the suspect, named as 33-year-old Jerrid Joseph Powell, was formally detained on Saturday for the killings of the three homeless men who were shot as they were sleeping alone on a sidewalk or in an alley.
  2.     According to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, on October 7th, 2021 a man named Joseph Dambra was wanted for shooting and killing a family member in the city of San Dimas. Dambra shot and killed his brother Richard Dambra on Wednesday, October 6, 2021, at around 7:02 p.m. Dambra traveled to a family member’s home in the 200 block of Valley Center in the City of San Dimas. Following the shooting, he drove away from the scene, heading south on Valley Center Drive, to another house in the San Dimas neighborhood on the 500 block of East Allen Avenue. There, he fired multiple shots at his brother’s unoccupied car. He left the scene in an unidentified direction following the second shooting.  
  3.    On January 5, 2023, there was a crash on the 10 freeway in San Dimas leaving 1 dead. All eastbound lanes on the highway were closed for many hours after a man was killed in a multi-vehicle incident on the 10 Freeway near San Dimas. The California Highway Patrol said that the deadly crash happened close to Kellogg Drive just after five in the morning.    A yellow sheet on the road covered the deceased victim’s body so their identity was not immediately known. The CHP blocked all eastbound lanes as emergency personnel cleared the area. The Highway Patrol said that as of 8 a.m., all lanes were open again. The crash’s official cause is being looked into. On Thursday morning, an atmospheric river swept a winter storm across Southern California, making the freeway treacherous with rain. This happening caused fear and reminded others to be cautious when driving around this time of year when rain is prevalent.
  4.  On January 27th, 2022, a driver of a pick-up truck slammed into a cyclist in San Dimas. There was a video showing the identified 37-year-old man riding his bike along the curb when struck by the vehicle from behind. Deputies say the driver stopped for a second but then fled from the scene. After receiving serious injuries, the victim was brought to a hospital. The dark-colored pickup truck appears to be a Dodge Ram, according to authorities, but no more information was provided. https://abc7.com/san-dimas-hit-and-run-bicyclist-injured-caught-of-video/11574414/

San Dimas is an area that feels safe and content, but just like everywhere, bad things do happen. Luckily not too many crimes and incidents were found around the city, giving the closure that we are in a safe area.