The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

66th Annual Grammy Awards Showdown

The clash of opinions on Album of the Year Winner

On Feb. 4th, 2024, the music world glittered with glamor and excitement as the 66th Annual Grammy Awards, a ceremony celebrating artistic excellence took place at the Crypto Arena in Los Angeles. In a vast music world of constantly evolving talent, the critically acclaimed awards show captures the brightest stars and their cultivated achievements – the question is, are the Grammys valid, or is it a snub towards artists who deserve praise?  

As the nominees’ list was released three months before the ceremony, viewers gathered to watch the Grammys in anticipation as the nominated artists varied from pop, alternative rock, R&B, rap, and more. Critics and fans gathered to speculate which artist would emerge triumphant in various categories like Album of the Year, Best New Artist, and Song of the Year. however, one particular category held everyone’s attention: Album of the Year. Recognizable nominees included Taylor Swift’s Midnights, SZA’s SOS, Lana Del Rey’s Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard, Olivia Rodrigo’s GUTS, boygenius’s the record, Miley Cyrus’ Endless Summer Vacation, Jon Batiste’s World Music Radio, and Janelle Monae’s The Age of Pleasure. 

As only one nomination could arise victorious, viewers watched in expectation and disappointment as Taylor Swift’s Midnights took the winning title. Although many rejoiced over her historic victory – being the first artist to win the top award for four albums – others were disappointed, believing other artists to be more deserving of the distinguished award. “SZA deserved it. SOS came with hit after hit, it was an undeniable win,” junior Krestina Ashenafi said. SZA’s SOS was a hit album, debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and featuring a multitude of hit singles like “Kill Bill”, “Snooze”, and “I Hate U”. SOS also held the most weeks at No. 1 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums Chart, topping renowned “Queen of Soul”  artist Aretha Franklin who held this feat for 54 years. With such innovative production, SZA’s broad vocal ability, and her ability to cultivate unique personal connections through music, she was seen as a clear winner.

Although most argue that SZA’s SOS deserved the win, others argue that Lana Del Rey’s Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard deserved the recognition. Songs like “Margaret”, “Peppers”, and “Let The Light In” were compelling hits on the album, presenting Del Rey’s ability to create a mesmerizing yet melancholic atmosphere through her music. Such introspection coupled with her dreamlike qualities created a timeless piece of music, another album that evidently deserved the title of Album of the Year.

The consistent debate on which artist deserved the award persists, adding to the list of supposed “snubs” agaisnst nominees in this category. The contrasting styles of Lana Del Rey and SZA in particular add a greater layer of complexity to the conversation, presenting the diverse opinions in the music community.