The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Drama’s Most Nostalgic Performance Yet: Mary Poppins The Musical

A musical flashback to our beloved childhoods

From February 9-11th, SDHS’s Drama department ran their very own production of the Broadway show: Mary Poppins; a musical complete with Beautiful costumes, sets, and eccentric dance numbers.

Every year the drama students and managers choose a musical for the entire district to participate in. This Production in particular was the longest in the history of SDHS’s shows. Not only was it exhausting to watch it for its entirety of 2.5+ hours, but it proved to be a vigorous task for its actors; all ranging from the ages of 4-18.

Star, Brielle Salles: Mary Poppins

“It is a really long show and energy is really hard to keep going, especially with the momentum,” said Senior, Steve Moreno. It’s his third year working in drama and in addition to playing Bert, the iconic character that is Marry Poppins closest friend, and who’s been played by many talented actors over the years. The two most famous: Dick Van Dyke, and Lin-Manual Miranda. Moreno was also assistant stage manager, and scenic lead; where he designed the art used throughout the show. A truly impressive feat. “He’s[Bert] more of the narrator. He kind of just furthers the plot; I’m basically just an exposition incarnate.”

“I think that the point of the story is to show that bad people can become good, and maybe even are good you just have to look a little deeper.”

— Senior Christian Howes

The well known story starts with the Banks; They consist of Mr. George Banks, Mrs. Winifred Banks, Micheal, and Jane. The family is looking for a nanny to take care of the two misbehaving children while their mother entertains guests and their father, who is definitely the most hated character for the entire first act, works at the bank with no time for his family.

“Any mother’s motivation is her children and in a way herself and protecting her family.” Junior, Sam Briere plays Mrs. Banks as her fourth year in Drama. “Winifred is acting in the role she thinks she’s supposed to, but in the second act is when she truly becomes a mom and a wife instead of just acting as what [she thinks] she’s supposed to be.”

Sam Briere and Christain Howes; Mr and Mrs Banks

One of the most talented actors in the drama department, Christian Howes who began two years ago, played Mr. Banks in the show. “It’s a nature versus nurture thing; He[Mr. Banks] grew up in this isolated space where he never got any attention, all he got was this hate from his Nanny and that’s what caused his to be so resentful and just a distant person” Howes said, “He represents how we would be more caring to the youth and the youth is how we shape the future because [they] are the future.”

“It’s the thrill of the stage; I love just having that rush on opening night. Performing in general, being in front of people, the applause keeps me going.”

— Senior Steve Moreno, Actor of Bert

The show tells a story of family and childhood, and does it expressively while using the figure we all knew from our own childhoods; Mary Poppins. The actress that played her, the beloved Brielle Salles, displayed the sassy-yet-sweet character from a better perspective than any other possible actor could; Poppins was someone that knew her worth and likewise, as do her portrayers.  

Despite being on vocal rest, Salles used her knowledge of ASL, and access to other performers to act as translators, to continue to be interviewed. I’ve been performing since I was three years old. Playing a character like Mary Poppins, it’s fun, magical, and it’s made me feel like a little kid again. It’s important, the things she reminds people of, to remember what it was like.  She signs, If I didn’t have my amazing friends I could never get through it. I feel when I go on stage, looking at the people in the audience . I hear my voice, and I feel like they see me. I feel seen. 

This show was phenomenal, and brought back so many memories of being a little kid and seeing this musical on TV, not just for the audience, but for the cast as well. It connects all of us through these healthy memories. It shows how important it is to everyone to bring back stories from our childhood.