The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Artist of the Month: Sophia Cabalfin

An outstanding artist who shows her passion for band and art with such enthusiasm.

In the vibrant halls of San Dimas High School, where passion meets talent, there exists a remarkable individual who effortlessly combines the worlds of music and art. Meet Sophia Cabalfin, a high school student whose multifaceted talents not only show through the notes of the school band but also with such elegance in art class. With such an ability to bring creativity into every aspect of life, Sophia stands as a shining example of dedication and achievement, leaving a significant mark that fills the school with pride on how talented their students are. 

Saint Scroll: When did your love for things such as band and art begin and how has it become part of your daily life now?

Sophia Cabalfin: My love for band started in fourth grade, when I started playing the flute, and my love for art has been with me for as long as I can remember as I have always remembered loving to draw, paint, sculpt, basically any form of art. Band and art have become part of my daily life by being involved in the classes at school.

Saint Scroll: Are there specific themes or emotions in your artwork that you draw inspiration from your musical experiences?

Sophia Cabalfin: From my musical experiences, I have learned to play different songs created based on diverse cultures. I haven’t ever considered how my musical experiences and my artwork relate, but I would say that my musical experiences of learning about different cultures have inspired my own culture as a Filipino to be displayed as a theme in my artwork.  

Saint Scroll: How do you approach creativity in both your musical and artistic pursuits? Are there common themes or influences that tie them together? 

Sophia Cabalfin: I approach creativity in art by the emotions I feel at the time and finding pieces or moments in my life that are significant and always reoccur in my mind. In terms of my musical pursuits, one way I approach creativity is by applying dynamics that aren’t always written so that melodies can be heard or create swells in the music to create an effect that the composer of the song wanted. I would say that involving emotion in the music pieces that I play and the art that I create ties these two activities together. 

Saint Scroll: Can you tell Saint Scroll about a memorable moment or achievement in each of your areas of involvement – band and art?

Sophia Cabalfin: A memorable moment in art was during the pandemic when I learned how to learn portraiture from Mr. Black’s introduction to art class, and I was able to apply those techniques to a portrait I made of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. For band, my memorable moment was finding out we made state finals again in my last year of high school and band.

Saint Scroll: How has being part of the school band, engaging in art contributed to your personal growth and development?

Sophia Cabalfin: Being part of the school band has helped my personal growth and development by allowing me to be a better leader, push myself out of my introverted shell, and get to know people. Art has let me become more in touch with my emotions and identity and allowed me to discover more art mediums that I could use to create art. 

Saint Scroll: In what ways do you feel your involvement in these diverse activities has positively impacted the school community, and what message would you like to show through these talents?

Sophia Cabalfin: Being a section leader for the flutes during the marching season, I would say I have positively impacted the school community by helping create a fun learning environment for others to learn an instrument and give them the skills to learn exciting music. In art, I believe my work has positively impacted the community by inspiring others to want to create something based on their emotions and identity. Through these talents, I would like to leave a message that finding something you enjoy, whether it be art, band, etc., can allow you to express yourself and be in touch with who you are.