The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

San Dimas Wind Ensembles and Jazz Band Blow the Crowd Away Once Again in this Years Spring Concert

A special look into the minds of the SDHS band members.
Duet between Seniors Riley Tanag(Piano) and John Lopez(Trumpet).
Soloist performing off of stage

On Thursday, Mar 7, 2024 The BCA hosted San Dimas Band’s Spring Concert from 7 pm to 9 pm, with impressive formal performances from Wind Ensembles 1, 2 and 3, and an exciting, more informal, performance from the Band’s Jazz ensemble.

The concert also had varying “acts” in between bands; solo artists Riley’s Tanag on the piano, Christopher Betancourt performing a song of his own composure, also on the piano, a duet with John Lopez on the trumpet and with Tanag on the Piano, and a skit showcasing director Daniel Sandt’s trumpet skills.

Sophomore Mathew Alex, in his fourth year of playing in band, primarily a trumpet player, secondary a french horn player, and performs the timpani for winter drumlyne said that,  “It’s performing with people I prefer. Because you can experience both the music and the magic of the music. If it’s just you, What’s the point of embracing the magic of the music?  I think the reason I’m still in band is because it’s the only thing I feel confident about. With band I relax and feel calm.”

“For me, it’s showing off what I worked so hard on for the past [months], showing that I’ve improved every concert, every piece I’ve played; what I worked so hard on.”

— Senior John Lopez

Jazz Ensemble Preforming

Senior Alex Price, who’s in the Jazz Band as a trumpet player, and who’s been in band since 6th grade said, “What I enjoy most is just playing the music and hearing the music around me. Playing cool songs, it’s just cool.”

Band is a way of life for many people, and to others the environment is like a family. Not only is band important for the students participating, but also for the Teachers and Alumni.

Sometimes they’re both, and in his tenth year of teaching, co-director Mr. Lance Beckford shared some of his insights into performing and being in Band, “[I love] the fact that it brings the most unlikely people together, and then

we become a family. I grew up doing it, and had the greatest experience, so I wanted to give that same experience the best I can to my students. I’m not Mr. Beckford on Stage, I’m somebody else, I’m a different character based on the music I’m playing. In fourth grade at Shull school I started playing trumpet, because my brother played trumpet in the USC marching band. Then in middle school into high school, I saw the drumlyne, learned some hand percussion and then percussion became my primary when I got into high school.  This [SDHS] is where my music career really started. My whole family came through here, and the opportunity to be a co-band director with Mr. Sandt came up and that was just one of the clearest signs. And I’m teaching students whose parents I came to the school with, which is really awesome”

“I like when the audience cheers, it makes me feel satisfied for how hard I worked for it and what’s even more fun is that once you learn your music you end up enjoying more about it.”

— Sophomore Matthew Alex

“Even though we would be considered some of the best at the school, it’s nice to always help and mentor other people as well because being in jazz band and all that, it’s super fun, but it wouldn’t mean anything if the next year everyone wasn’t that great so it’s always nice to help out the people in the wind ensembles.” Said Senior John Lopez, who’s in his 8th year of band on the trumpet. “You get to know the people in the band and stuff like that so even though yes, yes we are considered some of the best trumpets, it’s all just perspective. We really enjoy hanging out with everyone and the community, so that we can bring up the next jazz ensemble and continue the “legacy” of the San Dimas Jazz Band.”

Mr. Sandt doing push-ups and playing the trumpet.

Even outside of Marching Season (with breaking the school record), the San Dimas Royal Corp still finds ways to amaze and represent us in every awe-inspiring way they can find.