The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

How do Saints Celebrate Lunar New Year?

Lunar New Year honors the arrival of spring and is the beginning of a new year on the lunisolar calendar. This year is the year of the dragon, the only mythical creature of the Chinese zodiac.

Since this year is the year of the dragon, the prop Dragon Dance is performed during celebrations and festivals! The significance of this is to ward off evil spirits and bring good luck and blessings to the community. Dragons can also represent power and strength. 

The twelve Chinese zodiac signs coincide with twelve different animals the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit (in Vietnam it’s replaced with a cat), dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig.  

Lunar New Year celebrations can vary for different Asian countries; the traditions, foods, and dates aren’t all the same for Asian people. The holiday is significant to Eastern Asian countries and is celebrated for fifteen days. 

Although the holiday is significant to Eastern Asia, not all Eastern Asians celebrate the Lunar New Year, Junior Kaylee Manakil doesn’t routinely celebrate the Lunar New Year unless she’s with her dad for that time being, “because my dad’s the Asian one if he has me for the weekend then yeah I’ll celebrate but if not…” It’s normal for mixed Asian kids with separated parents not to celebrate every year.

It is time to reconsider reuniting with immediate and extended family during the Lunar New Year. Assistant Principal Mr.Heng celebrates the New Year with his family, “My mom makes a big feast for us and when I was younger we used to visit some of my family members for 30 minutes,” Mr.Heng also recalls memories from childhood of New Year festivals and watching Tiger Dances. 

Physical Science and Biology Teacher Mr.Ngyuen celebrates the Lunar New Year on campus by handing out red envelopes to Saints who wish him a happy new year, “There is a limited number of envelopes, so be aware of that.” Assistant Principal Mr.Heng also gives out red envelopes to students on February ninth. 

Red envelopes (hong bao in Mandarin and lai see in Cantonese) are small red and gold packets containing money to give to children, family members, and friends to symbolize good luck. 

The Lunar New Year is a unique Asian holiday that brings prosperity, abundance, family healing, and forgiveness. The next Year of the Dragon will be celebrated in 2036.