The Student News Site of San Dimas High School

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Saint Scroll

Happy Women’s History Month!

Did you know Women’s History Month began as Women’s History Week? It began in Santa Rosa, California 1978, and began to gain popularity all over the country, after nine years Congress passed public law 100-9 designating March as Women’s History Month.
PC: Getty Images

Every year March is designated Women’s History Month to honor women’s contributions in American history. As recently as the 1970s, women’s history was an unknown topic in the k-12 curriculum or to the general public’s consciousness.

Things changed when educators in Santa Rosa created Women’s History Week which corresponded with March 8th, International Women’s Day. 

Their goal was to increase awareness of women’s contributions to society. Has the educator’s goal been effective and carried throughout decades in our community today? 

“I think to an extent because women are definitely more recognized than before, but I still think that the jobs that women do and women need are significantly downplayed and I think that there’s still a lot of discrimination” Junior, Halaina Ramirez responds when interviewed about what she knows and her opinions on Women’s History Month. 

Some important female role models to her are her mom because she’s hardworking and her grandma on her dad’s side for her resilience from immigrating from Mexico to the U.S. 

Women staff members in San Dimas deserve more appreciation this month like Mrs.Perez, Sophomore Jackson Cooper says, “She’s a nice teacher, gives me time to do my homework, she’s my favorite math teacher I’ve had here” Another teacher that should get more credit is Ms.Giappone “she’s different than the other P.E. teachers I’ve had because she was nice to me and my friends.” 

This month Mrs.Ruiz was nominated for Staff of the Year, it’s nice to have a woman get her appreciation that she desereves in March. 

With all of the wonderful female teachers. staff, and students at San Dimas High School, deserve recognition and appreciation for their hard work and commitment to bettering our campus.